BACKING UP BILITIS
SHORT FILM - COMPLETED
A closeted girl creates an underground event in the basement of her suburban home, all on the brink of Melbourne's first gay liberation movement
Starring: Jana Zvedeniuk, Sean Ress-Wemyss, Maggie McCormack, Rashelle McHugh
Written & Directed by Abbie Pobjoy
Produced by William Dabinet
Edited by Isobelle Amie
Cinematography by Hazal Alakus
Sound Recording & Design by Joseph Sexton
Production Design by Amelia Childs
In partnership with Australian Lesbian & Gay Archives and Aztec Records Australia
AWARDS & FESTIVALS:
- Winner of the 2018 Swinburne Industry Award for Best Film, Best Production Design & Best Sound
- St Kilda Film Festival, Australia's TOP 100 Short Films, 2019: Offical Selection , nominated for 'Best Achievement in Screenplay'
- Canberra Short Film Festival, 2019: Offical Selection, Awarded for 'Best Score.'
- Byron Bay International Film Festival, 2019: Offical Selection, Nominee for Young Australian Filmmaker of the Year
- 2019 SAE ATOM Awards: Finalist for 'Best Short Fiction'
- CILECT PRIZE 2018/19: Awarded the EDI Award (Equity, Diversity and Inclusion) amongst the Asia Pacific region.
- Melbourne Women in Film Festival, 2020: Offical Selection
- Melbourne Queer Film Festival, 2020: Offical Selection
- Setting Sun Film Festival, 2020: Offical Selection
- Berlin Female Filmmakers Festival, 2020: Offical Selection
This film has been made on stolen land belonging to the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin nations. We pay our respect to elders past and present, and acknowledge that sovereignty was never ceded.